Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Big Clown Loaches

Posted By: Dr. Momfish <alexp@idirect.com>
Date: Saturday, 3 April 1999, at 3:34 p.m.

I've got loaches that are now approaching 6 inches in length. Martin was kind enough to email me the information about how someone in England bred these fish when they were 11 to 13 inches long. Now I find out that they can live for at least 40 years. I don't know how good I'll be at water changes when I'm 80!!! If I even get there. These creatures might even outlive me. Kind of like Parrots and Galapagos Tortoises!!!!

Does anyone out there have big loaches, i.e. got them small and are now over 6 inches? If so, what did you feed them so that they grew big, what do you feed them now, how large is their tank and what is their present behaviour? Do you have them in a tank with any other fish? What about plants and substrate?

The breeding article was interesting and scary. It seems these "cute" loaches turn into carnivorous monsters. It would be quite the challenge to get them to breed, but then what does one do with these monsters? They belong in the aquariums of Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

Mine have graduated to eating full size Red Wrigglers and plankton. I have not tried feeding them frozen little fish yet, and I'm afraid that if I do, they will decide that live little fish are even more delectible. They live in a 120, but I have a feeling that one day that tank won't be big enough.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.