Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

In the red corner ....

Posted By: Steve Burton <sdburton@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 6 April 1999, at 9:15 a.m.

Over the Easter period, the mother of all dominancy scraps brokeout between my alpha loach (3 inches) and my smallest loach, 2.5 inch long 1-2-Join (see Martins colouration and markings guide on the main LOL page). This fight lasted four days non-stop, the results of which I have never seen before: the flanks of both loaches had major scratches on them where they had been using their spines under the eyes for sparring purposes. Some of these scratches looked like little rolls of skin (like when you scratch yourself on a thorny bush) along the length of the flank. The battles were fought in tight circles with both fish greying out to a green irridescence, and all fins held as erect as possible. Both fish adopted a head-up stance as they squared up to each other.

Alpha loach is still King of the Hill, but I'm a bit concerned about the length of the fighting and the damage caused to the two fish involved.

Has anyone seen their clowns inflict such damage on each other, or for a bout to last four days or more?

Steve

Messages In This Thread