Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Clown Loach casualty

Posted By: Graham Mitchell <graha.mitchell@orange.be>
Date: Sunday, 18 April 1999, at 3:13 a.m.

Hi There,

I could do with some advice from you all please.

I have had a sad casualty with one of my relatively newly purchased clown loaches. I had 6 of them all bought from the same shop at the same time about 4 weeks ago. They are about 5-6cm long.

One of them stayed smaller than the others, and did not eat much. I discovered it at the bottom of the tank today, completely immobile though it's gills were moving, just. It did not respond at all, and looked thin. Even when I picked it up, it did not respond at all ! It looked paralysed. I’m afraid after an hour of this I decided it was the end, and it was quickly & painlessly ‘Euthansed ‘

In fact, just behind the gills there was a distinct depression, like someone had nipped it on both sides with their fingernails. ( This