Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Problems with clown loaches

Posted By: Alistair
Date: Friday, 7 August 1998, at 1:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Problems with clown loaches (Thomas B waltzek)

Tom,

Thanks for you constructive comments. You are correct in your assumptions. Perhaps the word "ditch" was a little to vague. I am very attached to these little fellas (nearly as much as to my wife!) and only want what is best for them which may include recognising that they should go to a alternative aquarium so that they don't fade away on me. The main problem is that at present I only have a 20g tank. 6+ clowns will take it very close to its limits for sustaining fish given the other residents. Assuming they grow at at the slow rate that it appears they do I can probably live with that for another year or so as long as I am careful with water quality. I do plan to move to a 50g tank but it will need to be specially made to fit my livingroom, so I'd better start saving now.

It seems the sensible course of action is to obtain enough to make a school of 6 and see what happens. If things don;t improve I will then try to find a new, more healthy and fun home for them. In the short term I will make a real effort to feed they live food as often as I can and use frozen and dried flake at other times. I have tried the corgette, but they don't seem interested - should it be forzen and thawed or micro-waved first?

I will keep reading the site as I am sure that most contributors, while exercising their free speech, will remain polite & constructive.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.