Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Problems with clown loaches

Posted By: Allaya <allaya@uci.edu>
Date: Saturday, 8 August 1998, at 4:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Problems with clown loaches (Pancho Medellin)

Hi Alistair!

I'm also a bit of a novice, but clown loaches were some of the first fish I ever put in my tank, so I've made some observations that might help...not only from my tank, but from my friends' as well!

First and foremost, as everybody has said, these are extremely social fish! Not only that, but they each have their own personality. I think Loaches Online made an excellent suggestion in picking the fattest, largest loaches in the lot, since they are the dominant school leaders. These will definitely be active in a tank. I was fortunate to get such a loach. The next day, I added another clown loach (bought from a different location), which looked a lot more timid in the store, but immediately bonded with the loach already in my tank.

Ever since then, they've been buddies. I plan to add more in the future as I can afford to, but as for the number of loaches in a tank, I'm sure everybody here seems to be more of an expert on it than I am. However, I DO think if you give your loaches a companion with a strong personality, they will be a lot happier. I noticed in my tank that after I added more schooling fish (especially some danio's) the loaches became even more playful and active. Who knows? I'm sure you'll find a combination that works for you. Good luck...let me know how things go. I like to exchange loach/fish information.

Allaya

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.