Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

kuhli loach problems

Posted By: Rose <roseselene@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sunday, 9 May 1999, at 10:59 p.m.

I was reading a previous post about kuhli loach troubles, and something interested me. I got my first kuhlis a couple of months ago. I started with six and they became very sickly right away and all but one died. None of the other fish in my tank became ill and the water parameters were fine-- ammonia and nitrites undectectable and low nitrates. After a few weeks i decided to try again. I got four black kuhli's and one more striped one for a total of six again. This went ok for a while and then they have slowly started to die of unexplained things. I only have two left. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. My water has stayed ok during this time. The previous post said that currently some people feel that the kuhli's available these days may be sickly. I hadn't heard that before, so I was wondering if anyone had any further comments on that. Should I avoid them all together for a while? Is there a good time of the year to get them? I really have enjoyed them but its frustrating to have them die like this. Also, do they prefer a lower pH? mine is 7.6. Is this too high for them? Even the "RO" water that I get is this pH. the GH of my tap water is around 110-120 ppm. The GH of the "RO" water that I buy is around 40 ppm. but the pH is still that high. Sigh.... any comments are appreciated. I'd like to keep kuhli's but if I can't, I can't. If others are having trouble, it would be helpful to know. Or if you're successful, any ideas on what to do? thanks!!!!

Messages In This Thread