Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Introducing new clowns?

Posted By: Jonas <jonas.emanuelsson@ped.gu.se>
Date: Monday, 10 May 1999, at 8:45 a.m.

I am new to this list but I have learnt a lot while quietly monitoring it for a month.

I have a recently cycled 250 l tank (approx. 60 us-g). The tank is planted and has got a lot of hiding places built with roots and stones. Partially 2-3mm, and partially 4-5 mm "English gravel". One 390 l/h canister filter and one 480 l/h UGF, covering about two thirds of the bottom. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ?, pH, 7.5 (perhaps high?, but no chemicals!), temp 26-27 C. I do 20% water changes every second week.

In the tank I keep two fat and active 8-10 cm clowns, ten extremely active 2-3 cm tiger barbs and eight small neons. I am now planning to get three or perhaps four more clowns since I have come to love them so much, and I have understood that the "old" ones will enjoy the company! So far, no problem with ick or other disease, but the tank is only two months old.

As I see it I have two options: To put the new clowns in the 250 l tank right away, or to put them in a quarantine tank for some time. This q-tank is quite small, 40 l (approx. 10 us-g), hence I feel some hesitance to put them there.

What would You more experienced clown-keepers do in my situation? I want to keep both old and new clowns as healthy and happy as possible. If you should recommend me to use the q-tank, for how long should I keep them there?

Any other comments on the setup?

All the best and thanks in advance! Jonas

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.