Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Whacking Day

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Tuesday, 11 May 1999, at 5:47 p.m.

In Response To: Re: article about ethics and fish pain etc. (Dr. Momfish)

One of my favourite Simpsons episodes, plus my preffered method of fish euthanasia. I don't drink, so I've never got alchohol in the house, so the mutual booze method is out of the picture for me. I'm not sure I like the idea anyway, because I think there's a world of difference between us drinking the stuff and a fish basically breathing it. Surely it must hurt the gill membranes?

I too don't like the idea of whacking the fish over the head with something big and heavy. Too much chance of a squishy mess going where you don't want it.

I hold the fish belly down in my palm, gripping it around the body with all my fingers, and place my thumb on it's back to secure it. Then there's a swift downward stroke into the loo, aiming so that the fish's skull impacts the front of the inside of the bowl. It then slides neatly down into it's watery grave. I always double check for life signs (no, I don't check for a pulse!) before flushing.

This works for all small fish. Something like an Oscar or whatever, might indeed need a whacking stick because you wouldn't be able to hold it correctly, and certainly wouldn't want to be flushing something that big.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread