Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: induced spawing clowns

Posted By: BB <nettech@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wednesday, 12 May 1999, at 12:15 p.m.

I am looking at this a little differenty so if it is off track I appologize. By induced I take it you mean what has been done in the States to breed the clown artificially. You should know that I have not seen this done myself so this information comes secondhand. I have bumped into this breifly in reading but also spoke with someone who toured a breeding facility in Florida where clowns were beeing bred. The practice simply put involved extracting hormones from a gland (I think) in the head of a carp and injecting the clown loaches directly. I do not know if males and females were "prepared" in the same fashion but there it is. Any hint of information I ever gathered about