Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: worms again

Posted By: Dr. Momfish <alexp@idirect.com>
Date: Saturday, 19 June 1999, at 4:27 p.m.

About three weeks ago I purchased two Thread Fin Cichlids (Acarychthys heckelii). They had been in the store for a few months and looked well. They've been eating well and hearty.

So, what do you know? Last night, while I was giving them the 'once over' I found worms hanging out of their anus. Both of them are infected with camallanus parasites. Bonus. Arghhhhh

They are now undergoing treatment in their quarantine tank with Levamisole (180 mg in 9 U.S. gallons, Tramisol oblets by Ayerst Pharmaceuticals).

This is what I mean. You can't be too careful. Why is it that the worms only showed up once the fish were getting well fed? I know that at this particular store, not one that I trust, the fish are kept on a starvation diet. Maybe since there was not enough food for the fish, the worms did not develop to their