Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

I'm starting on my River tank.

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Thursday, 8 July 1999, at 6:58 p.m.

Thanks to the Pound/Dollar rate advantage and the general cost of living in the USA compared to here in the UK, I found myself returning from vacation with 200 Dollars that I'd budgeted on spending, left over. Therefore, I've decided to get straight into doing the River-tank design that I've been putting off, whilst saving for the trip.

I arrived back at Norwich Airport at 9:30 on Wednesday morning, and went straight round the corner (half-mile from the Airport), to "The Giant Pet Store". This sounds kinda like a Deathsmart kind of place, but the fish section is great, and run by a very experienced and pleasant Manager. Great fish and good prices too!

Only dedicated fishkeepers get off planes after travelling from Washington via Amsterdam and hit a fish shop on their way home! I bought 3 pond-pump pre-filter sponges for my water intakes which will also provide biological fitration. Today, I bought the pipework and fittings to go under the substrate. Tomorrow, I'll phone order a pair of Project 1501 Powerheads. This will give me at least 3000 l/hr turnover, in one direction.......quite a river-flow!

The tank is 44" long by 18" wide, so has a reasonable floor area for the planned Gastromyzon and Homoloptera orthogoniata (if I can find those fabulous fish again.

Watch this space, and I'll update as the project develops.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.