Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Tom, It's Me, Joe Loach (TO JOE)

Posted By: martin thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Saturday, 22 August 1998, at 2:27 a.m.

In Response To: Tom, It's Me, Joe Loach. (Joe Loach)

Joe,

having told you my area of England was a bit short on good shops, I walk into my local "Pet Shop" (wouldn't call it dedicated Aquaria) yesterday (Friday). What do I find? Well, Skunks with stripes like the picture which I agree is wrongly ID'd. These also had some hint of orange in the lower fins, which I've not seen before. They had 1 1/4" Clowns at 4.95 (pounds, remember), 3 nice 2 1/4 Modesta, orange fins at 3.95 (think they'll be mine if still there the next time I go!), 1 1/4" Pseudogastromyzon myersi at 3.95, 3 Yo-yo's at 1 1/4"-2" at 2.95 & 3.95 depending on size, an odd 6" Weather Loach without a price on his tank, and something that will not interest you at all....NOT!......Sidthimunki !!!!!!!!!! They had 6 at about 1/2" long for 4.95. Why are they SO expensive? I asked about supply and they said as far as they knew, all the loaches were wild-caught. They agreed with me that any breeding being done in this Country is probably only at Hobby-level, rather than on a Commercial basis. I sat (well squatted), and watched all these fishes for ages, before deciding on buying the 3 Yo-yo's which are now happily sharing my 70 (GB) gal tank with my four 2" Clowns. They are very lively, and coloured up quickly after introduction. I have fine,Black gravel in the tank, and I think this gives all the fish richer colours, and they feel more secure without an upward glare. I'd really like to have Striata, but I've only ever seen odd examples around occasionally, and not recently. Are they available readily in the 'States?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread