Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Mystery Fish (JD Picture Reply)

Posted By: Nancy <naboden@aol.com>
Date: Sunday, 23 August 1998, at 12:49 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Mystery Fish (JD Picture Reply) (martin thoene)

Hi! Martin, I just looked at JD's picture and realized that I recognized it from a book we have. The picture is a little different, but the name is the same. The common name is Saddled Hillstream Loach. Here's the information this book gives: Distribution: Indonesia, Thailand Size: 4 1/2 inches Food: Omnivorous, Aufwuchs, bloodworms, and the like Temp. range: 68-75 degrees F ph: 7.0 dh: to 10 degrees Very peaceable with other fish; with each other there may be mock fights but no damage is done. They spend much time grazing through algae and over flat rocks and leaves. Tank setup: Mature aquarium with soft neutral water. Broad-leaved plants and large flat stones for decor. Good filtration with a reasonable flow of well-oxygenated water. Regular water changes of about 20% every 10-14 days. I hope this helps, if you find one!!

Messages In This Thread