Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

B. sidthimunki Availability.

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@gte.net>
Date: Saturday, 22 August 1998, at 3:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Stripes and Skunks. (martin thoene)

I called "The Fish Store" in Seattle, Washington. The employee that is the "Loach person" no longer works there. I see him on the Net, so I'll get in contact with him once I get my computer problems solved. (*Hopefully, within a week! I'm unable to send e-mail right now.) However, the person I talked to said that about 5 years ago, one of their suppliers gave their store first dibs on a shipment of 2,000 B. sidthimunki being imported from Europe! The entire U.S. shipment?!! They took THEM ALL!!! Hahaha! I remember seeing a large tank with masses of little things! It was an impressive sight! There were at least 500 in the tank at that time, and I took home 6 at $10.00 U.S. a crack! Ouch! Unfortunately they all died in my plant filter disaster just a few months ago. I also lost one of my 10 year old Clown Loaches when that happened. I was depressed for weeks. :-( I picked up 8 more just after my tank stabalized once again. Again, the Fish Store in Seattle had them. This time, they didn't get the entire U.S. shipment. Unfortunately, all but 3 were expensive fish food. My eels had grown from tiny little things to nearly 7-8 inches...and changed their diet. I got rid of them yesterday. :-(

The person I talked to said that these fish are at least endangered in the wild, and may be near extinction in many places. Plus the political climate where they are located makes collection a life or death issue. He said that there is a *single* source in Europe (*He* said Germany, but I've also heard England) that has a captive breeding program for this particular fish. He anticipates shipments every 5 years or so to the U.S.! FIVE YEARS!!! In Europe, who knows how often they are available?

Now, what's reality? I don't know, I'm just reporting this information/misinformation. Hahaha!

*If* this is true, then we know why the price is so high, and why they are only occasionally available over here. Can you say, MONOPOLY? :-)

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.