Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Tom, It's Me, Joe Loach.

Posted By: Thomas b waltzek <waltzek@neuro.fsu.edu>
Date: Saturday, 22 August 1998, at 6:00 p.m.

In Response To: Tom, It's Me, Joe Loach. (Joe Loach)

Joe Loach, Sorry for the mix up again! You guys both post so much that sometimes I get confused. Anyway, about the morleti photo: I looked at it again. Tough call but I'm glad somebody else is noticing these things. Your right about the color in the finnage and vertical body stripes been seen in the younger indiv. I used to keep these little devils but they were to darn aggressive. I went to every pet store in Atlanta for months looking for the colorful and striped youngsters. I had them for a year before I gave them to a friend (they never lost there color although I've seen 2"+ indiv. without color). The two things that bug me about that photo in regards to being a morleti is: 1)more than normal # of vertical body stripes extending to the bottom and top of the body 2) It does not have the continuous dorsal skunk stripe from the head to the caudal peduncle (site just before caudal fin). It trully looks to me most closely like a photo from aquarium fishes of the world (paul loiselle editor) of B. eos. Who knows with the lack of good loach info., geographical variation, natural hybrids, uncommon sp., sexual dimorphism, and general confusion surrounding this genus it could be anything-Tom

Messages In This Thread