Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: It's ordered...

Posted By: Mercy <Wolfkillr@aol.com>
Date: Sunday, 1 August 1999, at 8:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: It's ordered... (Fishface_Jr)

Okay, I missed what kind of fish and how many you intend for the tank. If you are not going to be keeping messy fish, a 303 should be fine on it's own. I use one on my 45gal which is home to 3 4" oscars, a 6" pictus, and a 5" royal pleco and it does a great job except for the spots where the driftwood meets the tank sides (inhibits the current so feces tend to get caught there... I should really move that driftwood). Granted, the tank is 10gal. smaller, but oscars and plecos, especially Panaque plecos, are notoriously messy.

I also use a 303 on my 55gal. turtle aquarium (about 35gal. of water). There again, not the same amount of water, but my 3 4year old turtles and their 6" pleco are messier than the residents of my 45gal. What I am getting at is, unless you intend to keep really messy fish, additional filtration shouldn't be necessary.

Not to discount Momfish, a second bar on the 303 probably wouldn't be required. On a 403, definitely, but the 303 is not THAT powerful. One last observation... if you have a glass brace across the middle-top of your aquarium, you may need to put something like a powerhead to move the water on the opposite end from the spray bar.

Mercy

Messages In This Thread