Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: Fish in the 55 gallon...

Posted By: Mercy <Wolfkillr@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 3 August 1999, at 12:37 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Fish in the 55 gallon... (Fishface_Jr)

In my experience, they get around 16"-18". I have two in my 20gal with leaves so long they arch in the tank. These two are the best looking of all the tanks, with no special effort having been made. The other swords are doing moderately well, but I think the combination of more light (a 20gal. gets more light per gallon from a flour. strip than a 45gal. plus it's under a window) and stray shrimp pellets for the cories that get caught in the roots that helps them grow better.

I have only recently started using fertilizer in a couple of my tanks to prepare for redoing my 45gal. as a fully planted tank. From my reading and personal experience thus far, fertilizer does not do much good unless the tank has good lighting. The plants in my other tanks with normal flour's are showing some improvements, but a radicon in my 135gal. with VHOs grew a 2" stalk to the water's surface in 4 days after adding plant tabs.

Mercy

Messages In This Thread