Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: New Fish Tank Considerations/Questions

Posted By: Juli <warnerjr@provide.net>
Date: Saturday, 14 August 1999, at 8:06 a.m.

In Response To: New Fish Tank Considerations/Questions (Wight)

Hey there!

Sounds like you're not sleeping much at night! Here's some ideas I've come up with in my own experience...

I have two glass hoods on my 70 US gallon tank- most come with a plastic "zip strip" with a groove along it that can be trimmed for equipment along the back. The groove fits nicely over the glass edge, making a seal so the little darlings can't commit suicide.

Secondly, I've found that nurseries (i.e. Frank's) carry a wide range of plant 'gro' bulbs with different spectrums, usually at a few dollars less than "discount" pet stores. I would also recommend an extra strip on one side for live plants- this way you could aerate the other end a little more with bubbles.

Which brings us to....bubbles! It would be more cost effective and work just as well, IMHO, to have a gang valve and run extra tubing from a larger pump. (not to mention one less cord!) I use a power bar with six outlets in it. These are great because they have the surge protectors built in and won't blow anything up!!!

You're also on the right track, I think, with shopping at home improvement stores for certain things. I get a lot of my 'caves' from them by purchasing pvc pipe and clay flower pots. Just walk around and use your imagination. If you don't like the look of these things, you can always hide the un-natural looking stuff behind plants. I've also had good luck finding slate this way- I tell the garden center that I just want a few scraps, and they usually give me an exasperated look (because they're used to selling hundreds of pounds for landscape projects) and tell me just to take it!

Anyway, it's always good to be prepared, but if all these 'mechanics' are stressing you out, then try not to worry so much about it- there's no point in sucking all the joy out of the hobby- most fish are pretty hardy and will adjust to new conditions! (something not discussed here was water- the MOST important ingredient :))

Juli

Messages In This Thread