Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Vegetarian loaches

Posted By: Scarlett <awindsor@resdata.com>
Date: Saturday, 14 August 1999, at 1:00 p.m.

Part of the fun of loaches is seeing what they will eat. They've really opened me up to the idea that fish can eat things that don't come from the fish store. The other night I stabbed a piece of cooked tofu with a fork (thanks for the tip Momfish!) and dropped it in the tank. The clowns tore into the tofu with carnivorous ferocity and the tank quickly took on the appearance of a well-shaken snow globe. Strangely they seemed to be throwing it around as much as eating it, but they didn't lose interest in it like you think they would if they had decided it wasn't good to eat. Over half of the piece was gone when I took it away from them. Anyway it didn't seem to do them any harm, but I felt the need to vacuum the tank afterwards.