Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Do kuhli loaches eat snails?

Posted By: Hans <a2609894@smail.rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Date: Sunday, 22 August 1999, at 7:32 a.m.

Recently I have noticed a sharp drop in my snail population. I had a small variety of ramshorn snails which usually grew to 1/2 cm in diameter and reproduced slowly as opposed to the variety usually found in tanks. In autumn last year (before I introduced my kuhlis) I had over hundred of them in my tank but now I really have to search for them (some few are left). Also I have recently tried to introduce several of the malaysian trumpet snails but after a while I didn`t find any of them either. I thought that kuhlis don`t eat snails but the other inhabitants are unsuspicious in that case I guess. These are a group of Aphyosemion, three clown plecos and several of the so called bumble-bee shrimps. Furthermore I wonder why my snail population was crushed only in