Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: The theory is.........

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Thursday, 2 September 1999, at 3:18 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The theory is......... (Martin Thoene)

It is indeed interesting when you consider that every tank sold in the UK comes with a big sticker on the front with red lettering stating that the tank must be stood on a polystyrene base. I'm not sure it matters that much though as the tanks are designed to take all the weight on the two end panes. On my two four foots I can slide a piece of paper between the polystyrene and the base of the tank in the middle which clearly indicates that there's no pressure on the stand at that point. I don't think the stand has warped either as its made out of 25mm angle-iron and that stuff is practically impossible to bend. I had two lengths of 40mm angle-iron welded to the bottom of the legs to spread the weight over more floor joists.

On the leaning side, my 3 foot cabinet has a 2 foot tank built in underneath on the right hand side. I think the added weight on that side has caused the floor to sag a bit as there's a noticable difference (nearly half an inch) in the water levels of both tanks. They've been like that for about 8 years though and there hasn't been a problem to date (and besides which they're at my folks house now so it aint my problem anymore hehe :)

Dave

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |