Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

To John (long/kinda off topic)

Posted By: Mickie <remove.me.mickie@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Monday, 1 November 1999, at 3:56 a.m.

Because I'm feeling in a rather generous mood today, which is really atypical for me, I wanted to give you some posting tips. I'm also hoping this will help other newbies to any discussion groups. Nothing worse than blowing that "first impression"

Unlike a face to face verbal exchange people you are "talking" to cannot ask questions to get a clearer picture of your problem on the fly so its very important to put as much detail as you can in your first post. I have a template that I sometimes use when replying to a plea for help from someone who did not give enough info:

Ammonia reading? Nitrites? Nitrates? pH? How long has the tank been set up? How frequently do you do water changes? Do you use water additives? Filtration? Any recent changes? Have you checked with the water company for any recent changes? Detailed description of lesions:

Copy this into a text file then it can remind you of what you need when posting a question. If you have access to a digital camara or scanner and have web space on the net (NEVER post a picture to a text only newsgroup) then its incredibly helpful to have a clear picture (closeup) of the fish also. (A picture is worth a thousand words)

Secondly, there is also netiquite. That is ediquite on the net. I've been around quite awhile so I'm savvy on all the do's and don'ts but I realize not everyone is. So here are some links:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_6.html#SEC44

Although this is intended for usenet it extends to any discussion forum.

One personal pet peeve of mine is the constant use of r=are and u=you. Keep in mind that your typing is what people see here. You can have a PhD. and if you use these shortcuts you will be dubbed as being one step down on the family tree from chimps. My favorite line is "Its four additional key strokes, it can't be that taxing"

So there you have it. I hope this helps you out as well as any new lurkers in the disussion groups.

Messages In This Thread