Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

New to Loaches -- which kind to get?

Posted By: Berk <berkel@stbla.com>
Date: Wednesday, 24 November 1999, at 3:35 p.m.

Hi everyone, I don't have any loaches yet, as I am only on Day 3 of fishless-cycling an 84-gal Long. The setup: sand substrate, mopani wood with anubias plants, Eheim 2226, and rock hard water courtesy of the City of Los Angeles. I'm researching before buying, and I'd sure appreciate opinions of all you loach experts out there.

How hard is rock hard, you ask? When I used the Freshwater pH, it was off the chart. When I used the brackish/high pH test, it read 8.2. This really only tells me the water's alkaline, and I haven't done the gH test recently but seeing the mineral buildup on my kitty's water bowl, I'd say it's liquid rock!

So far the only definite inhabitant will be a common pleco. There are dwarf puffers, zebra danios, and mollies in my other t