Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

First experiences with my sids

Posted By: Clowntje
Date: Wednesday, 1 December 1999, at 4:20 p.m.

Some weeks ago I bought six sidthimunkis. Yes, I had been warned by several messages on this board. No, my LFS said these were real peaceful! They were kept with colisa lalias (dwarf gourami's) and indeed: in the shop they went their own way, not even trying to chase after the tempting long threads of the gourami. I put them in my 15 gallon tank along with the six otto's and several red platies. They schooled with the otto's and all seemed well. My husband liked them for the 100 gallon tank, so we put them there and I bought another six for the small tank. Then my husband got the impression they were better of in the big tank after one of them died. So they moved. Then they started to nibble the fins of the platies and the mollies in the big tank (remember: before they let the platies in peace in the small tank!). I think they panicked in the more lively big tank. Now they seem to have find some rest. They dig in the gravel, swim in pairs of by four through the whole tank, sun with the otto's on leaves of plants and grow like hell. (They love driedfrozen tubifex). They started at a largeness of less than one inch and now they have almost doubled and are much fatter (they manage to feed themselves very well, only the clowns are right before them). They show little or no interest to the fins of other fish now. Maybe they will need a special tank in the end, but at the moment everything seems fine... Only two meagre sids try to pick at the fins of the platies, sometimes. They always choose the wrong moment to swim upstairs and have some food, or they swim away from it while the others are almost fighting for it. At last they chase the fins of other fish, but easily stop after the hunted fish nods its head towards them.It seems to me they desperately want the peace and quiet they enjoyed in the small tank. Cannot imagine them to be killers. But time will learn...

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.