Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Stocky Clown Loaches

Posted By: Noki
Date: Thursday, 2 December 1999, at 5:46 a.m.

I saw a group of Clown Loaches for sale, about 2" average, but they all seemed sort of "stockier" than normal, sort of like a Jason Alexander version of a Clown Loach. Does anybody know if this a natural variation. They were, in my opinion, less attractive than others I have seen. Where do they get most Clowns for the trade anyway, from Southeast Asian fish farms, or from nature? I think I have read that they could breed Clowns outdoors in a controlled environment, but I don't know for sure.

I've also seen a lot of variation in the markings and shape of "Yo-Yo's", so maybe the different shapes are natural. The skinnier "Yo-Yo's" seem more silvery. There could be a lot of geographic variation in the "Yo-Yo", or maybe there is a complex "complex" involving b. rostrata also. Has anybody else noticed these differences?