Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Are You Ready for This??

Posted By: Nancy <naboden@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 6 December 1999, at 6:57 p.m.

I'm still in shock. Last Friday, a young man came into the fish store where I work, and was waiting on the manager. With nothing better to do, he started chatting with me, and asked what type of fish that I kept. I, of course, said loaches, and his response was to tell me that he had just given away 6 clowns, the biggest of which, was 23 inches long. After I picked myself up off the floor, I began to interrigate the poor man. This is what I found out. He had had them for 6 years, and had gotten them when they were an inch or less. (That blew my theory of rapid growth until 3 inches, and then maybe an inch a year.) They started out in a 55 gal. tank, and eventually went to a 180. Because of trying to change to RO water, he did a 20% water change, daily, for the first two years. For the next 4 years, he did a 30% water change weekly. The tank was heavily planted, ph of 6.8 and temperature of 84. He only fed them Spiralina tablets, and as an occasional treat, freeze dried blood worms. He never used frozen or live food. The one thing that he did, that was unusual, was he fed them everytime he walked by the tank. He gave them away because he had to move, and had nowhere to keep his tank. As far as he knows, they are still alive and doing well. I wish I had met him a few months ago!!

Messages In This Thread