Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

I've Got A Brainstorm!!!

Posted By: Fran <WeSpy6466@aol.com>
Date: Thursday, 9 December 1999, at 6:53 p.m.

Now, for those of you who have read my posts about nitrates and the philodendrons, I've come up with an idea. For those of you who haven't read them, briefly I will sum up the previous. I have tapwater that reads 20 ppm of nitrates. So a lot of good water changes do me, when I'll never have nitrate levels lower than 20 no matter how much water I change.

So, I experimented with philodendron and found that the nitrates dropped by 10 ppm. I placed 3 leaves in 2 gallons of water. Now I'm not set up for growing plants in my aquarium and I can't have floating aquarium plants because the power filter will tear them apart, so what if I place a numerous amount of philodendron leaves in a pair of nylons or knee highs and place that in my tank. I'll get the absorption of the water to the leaves without the fish being able to eat the leaves in case they're poisonous to them. So, am I on to something, or am I ready for the Nut House? I'm really trying to make this work. OR, OR, I just thought of this...I could place some leaves in the back of my power filter. I have plenty of room back there. I think that's even a better idea. Comments? Concerns? I'm open to all, so please throw some my way. Thanks so much!!!

Fran

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by