Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

I think I figured it out! Differences in females and males of Botia species!

Posted By: Mike Ophir <ophir@wn.net>
Date: Sunday, 12 December 1999, at 12:13 a.m.

Hello everyone on LOL! As you all know, I have been keeping Loaches for about 4 years know, and have been observing them since the age of 10. Currently I have been trying to determine the differences between female and male Loaches. So far I think I know how to tell the differences between some Botia species. I will continue my studies further, to find out about the Pangio and Noemcheilus species. The first Botia species that I think I can tell the differences of are the Botia Morleti. (Skunk Loach) I currently keeping 4, 3inch specimens in my 80 gallon tank. The 2 Botias that I believe are the males are slightly longer in the body, and have a deep red to their anal fins and tails. The fish that I believe are females are much fatter and shorter in body length, and their fins have almost no coloration. The body color of the males are a very dark creamyish-brown color, while the females have a light brown color. I have recently witnessed one of the males shake rapidly in the water in front of the suppoused female. The other female and male seem to be sharing a cave with each other. The femlaes are also more aggressive, and chase other fish away if they come too close. I also have a little bit of information that supports my theory comes from "Freshwater Fishes of the World." By Wang Chin. It says that females tend to be fatter in the body and tend to be fin nippers, rather than the males. It didn't say this about the Botia Morleti in particular, but as a general to all the Botias.

All suggestions and coments would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Messages In This Thread