Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Are clown loaches good tankmates?

Posted By: Pino Esposito <espo@better.net>
Date: Sunday, 19 December 1999, at 3:44 p.m.

I recently purchased 4 small clown loaches and added them top my 35 gallon conmmunity tank which consists of 4 medium angels, 2 gouramis (pearl and gold) and several other fish (hatchets, swordtails, rasboras, corys). I expected the loaches to hang out at the bottom of the tank and be rather peaceful. Instead, they swim all over the place and quite frequently give unwanted attention to the other fish, especially the angels. They swim up to them rapidly and peck at them, or else they run their mouths all over the larger fishes' bodies (especially during feedings). The angels back off and swim away. I'm wondering if this behaviour will continue or if it is just a break-in phenomenon. I'm rather distressed by this because I have been waiting a long time for these loaches to become available, and I love the look of the fish. However, my angels get top priority, and I want them to be comfortable. Any suggestions?

Messages In This Thread