Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Jumpy Hatchets

Posted By: Pino Esposito <espo@better.net>
Date: Thursday, 23 December 1999, at 6:05 p.m.

OK, I know this is a loach site, but so many of you have such great ideas, that I'm sure they extend to other species.

I love the look of hatchet fish. I currently have six big, silver hatchets in my tank. The problem with these guys is they like jumping. I've had to collect at least five of them off my floor since the summer. Because I have a large, custom made canopy with an open back section, they are able to leap right out of the tank. I have attached some netting to the canopy, but a couple still managed to jump through the open spaces. I plan to look for a piece of acrylic that I can screw to the back of the canopy, cutting a little section to accomodate the penguin filter and heater.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions about the situation? I'd love to hear it.