Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

A Creature Of Habit

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Tuesday, 4 January 2000, at 11:36 p.m.

For the past year, I've been pretty inconsistent in my visitation of LOL. I used to hang out here all the time, almost daily.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I realized that Martin had posted his rivertank article and even updated his initial venture (I have the LOL *message board* bookmarked and not the LOL main page). That's how far out of the loop I've become. BTW, excellent job, Martin!

Today I decided to get back into the swing of things by visiting a couple of LFS in the Dallas area. I was looking for colorful fish this time out. What could I add to enhance my multitude of earthtone fish? I found some nice looking Congo Tetras, Rummy-Nose Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Dwarf Rainbows...but the Congos and Dwarf Rainbows were a bit too much on the expensive side, and the Rummy-Nose and Cardinals were in tanks with a good number of dead fish. Then I spotted a couple of young Synodontis alberti (one of my favorite non-Cory catfish), however, there was a problem in that tank as well--all of the fish were gasping. At this point, I figured that my fish hunting trip would end up being only a sight seeing adventure...until...I decided to take a look at the African Cichlid tanks for kicks, grins, and giggles. In one of the tanks, I was very surprised to see a little loach. "What the heck was that doing in there?!" I wondered. I looked it over and try and tell what it was. I thought it might have been some sort of Neomacheilus sp., but I wasn't quite sure. The store help indicated that it was a "Chinese Algae Eater...or a Japanese Algae Eater...or a sidthimunki." I assured them that it was none of the above. I purchased the cute lil thing for $3.99.

When I arrived home, I looked for the fish on the LOL Species Index. I was sure I could find it under the Neomacheilus species. Nope. Then I remembered when I read Martin's article that he had some pics of some like-looking fish. Sure enough, the fish I have looks just like the Shisture savona, except it lacks the orange spot on the base of the dorsal. It's a cute lil thing at 2" -- very curious and tries to hang out with the SAE's, which are more than twice it's length.

Well, I went out looking for color...and ended up, as always, coming home with a cute, interesting, earthtone-type. Oh well. :-)

Joe Loach

Messages In This Thread