Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Plant Filter II Update.

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Tuesday, 11 January 2000, at 2:04 a.m.

Sigh. I finally caught up with the person who wrote the article for AFM years ago concerning using Spathiphyllum sp for vegetative filtration. Well, after he wrote his article claiming success after months of use, he discovered that the plants eventually came down with root rot. I was hoping for better news.

My filter designed to accomodate this type of plant...now? Hmmmm. I'm investigating the possibility of using certain bog plants in lieu of the Spathiphyllum. This would call for a redesign of the filter though (two sections -- section #1 using stones or gravel to secure the plants, and slowly forcing the water upward through the rocks and roots -- section #2 would be for the Pothos vine roots. The Pothos would be potted outside of the filter with the vines hanging into the filter). If I discover that bog plants might work well in this type of application, I'll have to order the plants when they become available (spring?). Sigh.

I don't even know if this is feasable, but hey, I'm a dreamer anyway. I've emailed some folks who know a good deal about bog plants. I'll find out if this is possible. If not, I believe I'm going to use a variety of potted plants that will cascade their vines into the filter.

I'll keep ya posted!

JL

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.