Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Garlic as dewormer?

Posted By: Eric L.
Date: Sunday, 16 January 2000, at 2:16 a.m.

Have any of you loachers used garlic yet as a dewormer? I have 2 Mesonauta Insignus (Festivums).When I purchased the first one I used Di-N-Butyl Stannate and Metronidazole in the food while the fish was in a bare bottom tank.This fish grew well and never exhibited any symptoms of illness.I purchased another one and did not use these chemicals.I put the two of them together and the second one does not appear to be growing well.I've also noticed that both of the fish are now kind of skittish.The older one now is showing pitting on the head around the lateral lines.The water quality and feeding regimen is the same as always.Might this be attributed to some sort of internal parasite/worms?Is garlic added to food a safe and worthwhile program to try?Does this have to be done in a bare bottom tank?How much and for how long do I use?I don't have access to mebendazole or flubendazole without trichlorfon. <