Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

yo yo loach questions

Posted By: Lauren Tapyrik <perichonr@earthlink.net>
Date: Tuesday, 18 January 2000, at 6:41 p.m.

Hello-

I just stumbled across this site and figured that I would ask a few questions that I have not been able to answer as of yet. I am in the process of establishing a 75 gallon planted discus tank. So far, the tank has only the plants and LOTS of snails. So, yesterday I went out and bought 2 small yo yo loaches- very cute! They are currently in a 20 gallon quarantine tank with 10 Ottos (also in quarantine for algae control in the plant tank). Overnight, they wiped out the snail population in that tank, so that is one question answered! My intention is to gradually acclimate them to the discus tank parameters- which will be pH 6.8, temp 84F, GH= 6.5, tank has CO2 injection to fertilize the plants. Their "purpose" (other than to be delightful little critters!) is to keep the snail population in check. Tankmates will be, of course, the discus, as well as ottos, black mollies,eventually 2 twig catfish, and a bristlenose plec (all for algae control). Should I anticipate any problems with any of these fish? Should I have more yoyo's, or are two enough? Will they be okay in the water parameters described? While they are in quarantine, which diseases (if any) should I particularly watch for? Do they have any special tank requirements, other than the plants (also two large pieces of driftwood) which provide plenty of great hiding spots? Any comments you can provide to help keep these two healthy and comfy in their new home will be appreciated!

sincerely, Lauren

Messages In This Thread