Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

New Clowns won't eat

Posted By: Noki
Date: Tuesday, 25 January 2000, at 4:32 p.m.

I bought a couple of new Clowns two weeks ago, a little over 3". The loaches looked stressed out, hiding in a group, but they were new arrivals from the day before. Since they were a nice size for the price ($12 U.S.) and were nice and plump, I bought two to add to my tank. They have been shy, but I am sure now that they are not eating. They lethargically move toward some food, mouth it, then leave the food alone. Do they probably have internal parasites. I've seen the same exact behavior in Mbuna (the so-called dreaded Malawi Bloat) supposed to be caused by internal parasites in newer, better books. Is Metronidazole known for sure to be uneffective in treating loaches, because I have used this before safely on other fish. Dr. Momfish writes about another drug in the FAQ, but that it is uneffective above 6.6 PH, and my PH is never below neutral.

Any positive experiences with something simil