Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: What kind of loaches for a smaller tank?

Posted By: BB <nettech@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thursday, 27 January 2000, at 1:58 p.m.

In Response To: What kind of loaches for a smaller tank? (Ruy Lopez)

Some thoughts...

Not all loaches eat snails and as Dave pointed out some species of snails are left alone. Add this to the knowledge that the practice of consuming them can vary from individual to individual and loaches do not make a good choice if this is strictly the reason for acquiring them. The bulk of those that are know to eat some snails belong to the genera botia. Long term a twenty gallon will not cut it for most either because of agressive behavior or potenrial size as you have indicated. Some of the smaller are even worse then the species that grow larger in terms of agression. Since I am of the belief that botia do better with botia of the same species for me three specimes would be the minimun in a tank. Given the size I would consider striata, rostrata and then perhaps dario. Dario for me have been peaceful but others no do report the same. I would shy away from anything in the modesta complex entirely.

Just a thought...

BB

Messages In This Thread