Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

New Loach Tank

Posted By: Judy <jmz@capital.net>
Date: Sunday, 30 January 2000, at 4:51 p.m.

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum now for quite a while and would like to ask for your help. I'm going to give myself a present with my tax refund. It won't pay for the whole thing, but I think I can make up the difference. Anyway, I'd like to get a 120 gallon tank and fill it with clown loaches. I was originally looking to get a 90 gal but decided on the 120 for the larger surface area. I did post to 2 newsgroups but got no posts (too long??). Anyway, I need some help in choosing the filter, gravel, heater, etc. Also, my water out of the tap has a pH of 8.0 (can I still keep clown loaches without adjusting the pH)? If the answer is no, I'll have to find another fish. Right now my 55 gal is running about 7.6 - 7.8 pH with no intervention.

This tank will be against an outside wall in front of a bay window (with vertical blinds). I will probably have algae buildup unless I can get some good algae eaters that like this pH. The couch is coming out to make room for this tank & it is the only wall space I can make available.

Looking to get the All Glass 120 gal 48 x 24 x 24 on the oak stand with a glass canopy. I am planning on a double-bulb strip light. I will not be using a UGF.

Filters: Aquaclear 300 (3 of them) or Aquaclear 500 (2 of them) or Emporer 400 (2 of them) or Aquamaster 600 (2 of them?) or Whisper 5 (2 of them?) or any combination of any of these filters?

Questions: Efficiency & job performance? Expensive/inexpensive to replace cartridges/media? How often should cartridges/media be replaced? Ease of cleaning/replacing cartridges/media? Substitutes for cartridges/media? Also, what is a pre-filter sponge & where does it go with these filters.

Heating: I am planning on getting 2 Ebo Jager 250 watt submersibles. Considering the location is this a good/poor choice, overkill/underkill?

Biological Filter: I am looking at a fluidized bed filter that hangs on the back of the tank. Do they work & how well? Products I am considering: Lifeguard Rainbow FB 300, Sea Storm 100 powered by Mini-jet 606, Quicksand I Filter (with pump), and Merlin FB.

Questions: What size powerhead or mini-jet does the Lifeguard and Merlin need: Are they easy to service (i.e., how easy is it to add media as it is lost & how often does this have to be done?

Gravel: No UGF so how many lbs for this tank. Also size. My lfs has some nice dark black gravel in 2 sizes (5 lbs @ $2.99). Small size = approx. 2-3 mm and the larger size = approx. 4-5 mm. Should I get all of 1 size (the small looks really nice & I would think the clowns could dig better in it) or should I do half & half? Or doesn't it matter & I can get what "I" like. What about vacuuming (sp) the different gravel sizes? I originally wanted black sand but the lfs said it was hard to clean & if I ever wanted live plants it wouldn't work well.

One last question. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to make sure. I have a 10 gal hosp/Q tank. Can I quarantine up to 13 one inch loaches in this 10 gal until my 120 is cycled (up to 6 weeks?)? If so, how often should I do a water change (10% or 20%). Or should I wait until the 120 is cycled before buying the fish (by then they will probably be twice as much as they are now). Are 13 loaches to many for a 120? Ooops, that's 4 questions.

Well, that's about it. I know this was long. Thanks for reading and any and all input will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Judy

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.