Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Do good things come to those who wait?

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Thursday, 3 February 2000, at 5:24 p.m.

They certainly do!!

I was driving home from work this evening and got stuck in traffic directly opposite a fish store that I've been driving past twice a day for three years but never visited. So I decided I'd pull over and have a quick look around. Boy was I surprised! The place is tiny and crammed to the rafters with merchandise and fish tanks. So halfway down the 50 or so tanks I spotted the most beautiful and healthy group 1"+ sidthimunki that I've ever seen for sale. These guys were fat and active and happily swimming around at all levels even though there was an abundance of rocks and wood for them to hide in. So how much were they??? Get this: 3.50 pounds each or 3 for 10 pounds!!!! If only I had time to sort out my tanks to make space for them.

A few tanks further down they had 2" modestas at 2 for 6 pounds and 1.5" morletis at 3 for 5 pounds! Wow. Must get more tanks :-)

So what did I buy? The book I've been waiting for for months: the Aquarium Atlas Photo Index for 30 pounds. A goldmine of information that even has the latest scientific names for most of the loaches (e.g. fish listed as neomocheilus in the original volumes are now correctly identified as schistura). I think it was Debbie who bought this book the other week? It's excellent isn't it?

The best bit was when I went to pay. I spotted a whole range of prepared foods that I've never seen before that are from Japan and are packaged similar to the Hikari range. So I ask to have a look at a couple and decide to try the one with the clown loach picture on the front. They look like algae tabs but are aimed more at omnivorous fish and the guy said (with absolutely no clue as to what fish I keep) that they're ideal for fish like botias. So I say I'll take a packet and he tells me I can have them for free becuase I've just spent 30 quid on a book!! I Like This Place!

Dave, happy as larry

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBB