Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Life's Funny At Times...

Posted By: Craig D'Orsay <craigd@attcanada.net>
Date: Thursday, 3 February 2000, at 9:15 p.m.

...For instance, take this sordid tale into consideration.

Well, to explain the situation, I'll go back to last weekend. I had just come to the end of a bag of algae wafers, and I up-ended the crushed leftover contents into the tank.

The next morning, one of my striata is lying on its side, dead as a doornail. The next day, a second striata is also dead, but this one decided to go T.U. on the surface. Both fish had swollen stomachs, and no other visible signs of stress or trauma (no abrasions, protrusions, visible worms, etc). And, of course, I'm thinking it was the algae wafer bits that did the trick - they either ruptured the stomach walls because they were sharp and angular, or the fish simply ate too much, and the bits swelled once inside. I think next time I'll crush