Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Sidthimunki and Nigrolineata barbel count

Posted By: Dave Guest <d.s.guest@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Tuesday, 8 February 2000, at 12:32 a.m.

This is mainly a question for BB but anyone else feel free to answer!

I'm confused still about the barbel count issue. Are you saying that the article said sidthimunki should have 3 pairs of barbels yet your 5"er has 4 pairs? How many pairs should nigrolineata have or is that an unknown still?

I've been studying my fish for weeks and I'm still uncertain because the little buggers won't sit still, ever, unless they're out of sight. But... I think my small sids have 3 pairs of barbels. The nigrolineatas are still a mystery :-) If I lie down in front of the tank they come out for a look around and I can literally sit a couple of inches away from them so I start counting, "1, 2, ... damnit you little b****** sit still!!!". From one day to the next I convince myself I've counted 3 pairs, then 4, then 3 etc etc... If there are 4 pairs then one of them is tiny and only visible from a certain angle. It doesn't help that I have a light sand substrate so I can only see the barbels at all if I look upwards at the fish and it is in front of something dark. Of course by the time he's landed in the correct position he's had enough and darts off for another scurry around the tank. I'm sure they know what I'm trying to do :-)

Dave

Messages In This Thread