Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Homaloptera "ALERT" at Petsmart.

Posted By: jim powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Thursday, 17 February 2000, at 2:19 p.m.

I thought people interseted in Homaloptera and other hill stream loaches would enjoy this. Recently I became interested in hill stream loaches and began searching for some without success. I live in Indiana, and an extensive search finally found several stores that carried Gastromyzon under names such as Butterfly loach, Borneo Sucker, and Hong Kong Pleco. I enjoy the fish and have gotten them to eat Nutrafin Spirulina tablets and freeze dried tablets as well as Tetra Tank Nibblers. All the postings here on this species were very helpfull. I was hoping to be able to find some homaloptera but was unsuccessful. About two weeks ago I was browsing in a PETSMART (a big chain in the US with so-so fish selection) when I noticed some White-cheecked Gobies. Suddenly, among the gobies I noticed what appeared to be a 3/4" long Homaloptera zollengi. I happily purchased the fish for $3(the price of a goby). It is a very enjoyable fish to watch. Much more active than the Gastomyzon. Since then, I have began checking PETSMART stores for more "gobies". Today, I found three healthy Homaloptera zollengi in with more gobies at another PETSMART. I was only going to buy one, but thought of trying to deal on them. The lady at the store asked the manager what to charge for them. Beleive it or not, the manager said since they were not "in the computer"and they had no idea what these fish were, I could have them all for FREE!! I couldn't believe it! So anyone looking for these interesting critters, start checking out the goby shipments at your local PETSMART. GOOD LUCK!!

Messages In This Thread