Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

red tailed, purple botia acting very odd.

Posted By: Robin <robin@jetcity.com>
Date: Friday, 18 February 2000, at 11:52 p.m.

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me about my new fish. I had originaly intended to get a couple of clown loaches. However, I ended up with what was called Red tailed, purple botia. I bought three of them. They are very neat fish but either they are sick or they are the strangest fish I've ever seen. A couple of them lay on their sides, looking like they are dead as a doornail. It's scary till you notice them breathing fine or kind of swish a net at them and they take off. They swim fine, they eat well (love the snails I had in the tank), they don't have white spots and in all other respects seem to be doing fine. It just scares me that they continue this. I'm worried that something is wrong that I should do something about before it's to late. I've never had loaches before so maybe this is something they like to do? The other thing I wonder is if they are getting enough oxygen. I read a short article that indicates that they need more than other fish. Could this be. I can easily buy a pump and air stone if this would help. I would sure appreciate any help or information that may help Ed, Ed and Eddy as my son has named them. I wanted to name them Larry, Darrel and my other brother Darryl for those who've been around to remember back to that show.

Robin robin@jetcity.com

Messages In This Thread