Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Schistura notostigma

Posted By: BB <nettech@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Monday, 21 February 2000, at 8:37 p.m.

In Response To: Nemacheilas notostigma (jim powers)

A link for you;

http://FISHBASE.ORG/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=12269&genusname=Schistura&speciesname=notostigma

Jim, I think it is pretty safe to say that any loach found in a 'mountain stream' (hillstream) would prefer high dosolved O and cooler of water then those found in waters further downstream. The original genus has been revised and this species is placed into schistura now. The images in the species archive may be inaccurate. I maintain notostigma as identified by myself, off-fourm feedback from Hans, and Martin's Indian book (as I recall). The loach is black with yellow flecking across the back. It bears little resemblance to the images in the archive. Maybe juvinile vs. adult. I seriously doubt that but I have other schistura that have surprised me with age. I do have some images on-line if you are intrested. As far as the agression goes; you have your leptobotia (not mean but they tend to eat anything that fits in their mouth), then the botia (with modesta being the worst complex ime), then you have your schistura and homoloptera (these I lump because they have the ability and disposition to do harm to each other), then there are the gastro-type and the oddballs like the moosefaced and horsefaced loaches ...and those lovely kuhli. This is ment to be a broad overview of where I would stick them based on agression. Alot of it depends on you and how you set the tank up. Stocking levels ect... :)

Just my thoughts BB

BB

Messages In This Thread