Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Not so common

Posted By: Iris <Iris6@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 22 February 2000, at 3:36 a.m.

In Response To: Not so common (BB)

I agree with you that common names are a problem. In fact, the main problem with common names is that the same name often means completely different creatures in different places! Add to that the fact that different cultures define colors differently - what "Yellow" means in the US/Western Europe may be called orange elsewhere, so someone from one place may call a fish yellow-finned, and someone from another culture may call it orange-finned, and they are both right - even though they are referring to the same color frequency! (The ancient Greeks divided the rainbow into 5 colors, not 7 - just an example of what I am trying to get across.)

For example, I think we got it straight that yellow-finned botia (in Western culture) is B. lecontei. Orange-finned (or red-finned, as some people say) is B. modesta. OK - now check out the links I just got today, from Thailand (Chantra - she sometimes posts here - sent them to me). We have a cultural color communication difference! I think that may cause some confusion.

(BTW thanks Chantra - I looked at your pictures and finally realized that part of the problem is that we have different names for the same colors.)

Gad, why does Martin have to be missing right now? :-(

http://www.ku.ac.th/fish/mfish.html/fresh/fwf209.html --- "Red-Tailed Botia" = Botia eos

http://www.ku.ac.th/fish/mfish.html/fresh/fwf207.html --- "Yellow-Tailed Botia" = Botia modesta

Iris

Messages In This Thread