Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Got my 125 and am filling it now

Posted By: Judy <jmz@capital.net>
Date: Tuesday, 22 February 2000, at 11:59 p.m.

I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! :)

My new 125 has been sitting empty in my living room since last Friday. Today I got my UPS shipment that included the filters & heaters so I am filling it right now. A couple of questions have arisen that I hope someone can answer.

I am going to run it bare bones for a couple of days to catch any dust, dirt, etc. from the gravel and remove the air bubbles.

Question 1: How many days will it take for the chlorine to disappear? I did not add any water conditioner.

I got 3 Ebo Jager 200 watt heaters (model TS adjustable temperature). Other that having to decide where to place them, I'm confused regarding their submersibility. I thought Ebo Jager was completely submersible (including the part of the power cord at the top of the heater). The diagram, however, shows the top part of the heater out of the water.

Question 2: Is this heater totally submersible or, as the diagram shows, must the top of the heater be out of the water?

I purchased three pieces of wood to be used as a focal point (as well as having some nice hidey holes). The tag says it is Welaby Wood from South Africa. It recommends that the wood be boiled. Two of the pieces are large enough that I would have to boil parts of them in stages.

Question 3: Is this an OK way to do it.

Question 4: Does anyone know if this type of wood will leach color into the water.

Question 5: If it does leach color, does that also mean it will soften the water or lower the pH?

Well, that's it for the questions. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have a few more later, but since it's almost midnight, and I have to get up at 5 am, I better close down.

TIA

Judy

Messages In This Thread