Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Loach with frayed fin

Posted By: Mickey <keyboard@usit.net>
Date: Saturday, 4 March 2000, at 3:38 p.m.

I have a loach (approximately 3 inches) with a frayed dorsal fin. It has been that way for several months, and really doesn't appear to be red, or even getting worse. It just looks ratty. Somehow it doesn't look like fin rot to me, though I could be wrong. His body looks fine, just the edges of the fin are involved--his fin looks like fringe instead of a complete, whole piece.

Should I treat the little guy? None of the other loaches seem to have any fraying. I thought at first perhaps he just had a different fin, or that he had gotten a little rough with the bigger guys, but now I'm not so sure.

If I do treat, (1)should I leave him in my main tank (which is pretty heavily planted with crypts, java moss, and anubias, just in case it may spread? (also, I hate separating him from his pals) and (2) wh