Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

weatherfish

Posted By: AJ Rogers
Date: Tuesday, 7 March 2000, at 9:06 a.m.

Several years ago a poorly-informed petshop clerk sold me (then poorly-informed myself) a pair of long skinny fish which he assured me would do well in my tropical tank and eat up any algae or leftovers. I am now the happy (and somewhat better-informed) owner of two beautiful ten inch Japanese Weather loaches who share twenty cool (65oF) gallons with a small school of white clouds and provide plenty of entertainment with their digging and dancing around after frozen and live food.(Naturally they don't eat algae but it doesn't grow abundantly at their temperature). I still don't know enough about these delightful beasts. Are they captive bred, or should I assume they were captured? How old can they live to be? Is there anything else I can give them besides cool water, surfaces to sit on that aren't covered in gravel and a varied, mostly carniverous, diet? Any information would be most gratefully received.