Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Fwd: Clown Loach Problem -- Any ideas?

Posted By: Jeff Shafer <webmaster@aquaweb.pair.com>
Date: Saturday, 18 March 2000, at 11:11 a.m.

Hi,

I got this email yesterday, but really don't have any suggestions for Jeannie. Has anyone had this problem before? Let us know, and I'll forward any replies to her.

Thanks!

Jeff

-- FORWARDED MESSAGE --

I have three clown loaches, this is actually the second batch of three I've had in the last 6 months. I have a 26 gallon aquarium, with various other communtiy fishes, including live-bears. The tank is not over crowded, and the water quality remains excellent. We try to keep the temperature a little on the high side..about 78F.

The problems usually start when one loach will "hang" vertically in the aquarium, with his mouth on or near the surface of the water. Sometimes resting in one of the plants near the surface. He has little to no appetite. There are NO visible symptoms of any disease. I have treated with everything anyone can think of. I had one that survived quite awhile, but eventually died. Now I have replaced them, and they have been in the aquarium for at least 6 weeks. The first one started doing this same thing two days ago. I started treating with Formalin II again since that was the last thing I tried before I lost my last one. Unless I find someone who is familiar with this, I know I will lose my others.

I feed a high quality flake diet, and frozen tubifex worms 2-3x weekly. I have no other problems with my other fish, including the live-bears' fry. We do weekly water changes, and our filtrartion system volume is 1 gallon per minute.

Please, if you have any information, or know anyone who might have any suggestions, I would welcome any help.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Messages In This Thread