Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

River Tank idea.

Posted By: Charles <cvickers13@home.com>
Date: Monday, 3 April 2000, at 4:18 p.m.

I'm thinking of setting up a river tank in a 55 gallon for hillstreams. I would use the manifold system discribed in Martin's River Tank article, and 2-4 fluval 404s. That would make between 1560-2240 gallons per hour. 26-37 gallons per minute! I would probably have about 24(too many?) hillstreams in the tank, with another 12-24 white clouds. In terms of aquascaping I would provide plenty of caves, some bog/drift wood, and lots of loose rocks for algae growth and hiding places. I would proably use java fern, vallisneria, and java moss in terms of plants(any others). The water would be filtered through peat, for a more natural coloration to the water. If I'm lucky, the white clouds might even start reproducing in the java moss for me. I would probably have about 200 watts of light to encourage algae growth. Are their other plants that would do well in this situation? What about fish, do you think that the white clouds would provide enough variety? I would obiouslly keep the temp. around 68-70. Does this sound good to every one? I'm just in the very basic planning stage hear, nothing permanent. The tank probably won't even be up for another year, but I want to plan ahead.

Thanks for any help provided, Charles

Messages In This Thread