Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: River Tank idea.

Posted By: jim powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Tuesday, 4 April 2000, at 6:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: River Tank idea. (Charles)

You might even consider Rosey Reds. They're the golden version of the fathead minnow(Pimephales promelas). They can be found as feeder fish in many US pet stores.If its legal to do so,and you live in the right part of the US, you might want to catch some Black stripe top minnows(Fundulas notatus-a killifish) These fish live in lakes and streams near the surface, but would probably avoid the very swift parts of the tank.They are panchax-like in form, golden colored with a black stripe down the side. Very elegant in appearance. You might also contact a good bait store that sells minnows. Sonetimes they, just like pet stores, get unusual fish in with the bait. I got some sticklebacks once that way. If you do any of this, you might want to quarentine the fish first and even feed them to improve their condition. Bait and feeder fish often don't get fed. Personally, I would go with the white clouds.They're chap, hardy, and available at most fish stores. I have a school of nine in my river tank. Feed them color-enhancing food and you would be surprised how colorful they get. You can also find some with unusual color variations if you look around a bit.

Messages In This Thread